The 2014 Targa Rally Series begins in May with Targa North Island.
This three day event begins in Auckland on Friday May 16th, travelling to Whitianga and winding through the roads of the Waikato, finishing in Rotorua on Sunday May 18th.
2014 is a milestone year for the Targa Rally, being the twentieth Anniversary of the inaugural event.
Of the all cars competing, only one has started and finished all previous Targa New Zealand rallies - the Team ENZED 1964 Fiat Abarth 1000 driven to success by Mike Lowe of Rotorua.
2014 is a milestone for Team ENZED Abarth as well, not only in their twentieth year of unbroken Targa competition but also their twentieth year of sponsorship by ENZED - a New Zealand motorsport record for sponsorship.
“ENZED came on board as naming rights sponsor when Targa first started, and has been with us ever since” said Lowe. “We are proud that our iconic car has become synonymous with ENZED and we look forward to doing well again this year”.
With 2014 being such an important year for Targa, Team ENZED Abarth along with their classic ‘pocket rocket’ has laid out a challenge to other Classic and Historic rally cars.
“We have donated a trophy and prize money for the first < 1400cc Class home in this year’s Targa NZ, of course we hope it will be us! We’ve managed to scare off other smaller capacity opponents like Minis and Imps over the years, so bring it on guys!” challenges Lowe.
Before the new trophy becomes ENZED Team Abarth’s legacy, the team is focusing on doing well over the 460km of special stages and 830km of touring before the finish in Rotorua.
Full details of the event can be found on the Targa website (www.targa.co.nz
) and in the May edition of New Zealand Classic Car Magazine.
ENZED Team Abarth quick facts:
For more information, interviews and media opportunities please contact:
- Team Sponsor: ENZED New Zealand - longest serving consecutive Motorsport sponsorship in New Zealand.
- Date commemoration: 2014 marks the 20th year of Targa New Zealand, and 20th consecutive year of Team Abarth’s involvement in (and completion of) the iconic New Zealand tarmac rally.
- Team Members: Mike Lowe (Driver), Phil Sutton (Co-Driver), Nigel Derbyshire and Dave Jowett (Crew).
- Competition Vehicle: 1964 Fiat Abarth Berlina Corsa 1000. Found in Sydney in 1991 and brought to NZ in 1993 for restoration and race preparation. Fiat 600-based shell. Front mounted radiator, fibreglass fender, flares, raised engine lid, all new structural panels. Full roll cage for safety.
- Suspension: Front wishbone and coilovers with antiroll bar. Worm/roller steering 4 ½ turns lock-to-lock. Rear swing arm.
- Brakes: four wheel solid disc. Split circuit for safety.
- Engine: Abarth 4 cylinder , 8port head, 10.5:1 compression, twin side-draft 40mm webers. Approx 75kw at 7500rpm in rally trim. Fuelled on avgas.
- Transaxle: 5 speed with LSD and cv-jointed driveshafts.
- Weight: car only = 690kg dry
Car with driver and co-driver and full fluids = 900kg (this gives a net power to weight ratio of 12kg/kw.
- Vehicle credentials: The only tarmac-rally specification Abarth running in the world, arguably the fastest 1000cc car in NZ.
- Targa North Island 2014 Dates: 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th May 2014
- Targa Stats: Largest motorsport event in NZ - 200 entrants, over 1200 people. Targa NZ has been running since 1994.
- Route: Auckland – Whitianga – Rotorua.
- Media Opportunity on event: Yes – contact details below.
- Website: www.teamabarth.co.nz
ENZED Team Abarth
M: +61- 409 895 945
E: [email protected]